Washington State Educator Awarded 2019 “Teacher of the Year”
Kidd Valley Restaurants names Susan Kearney of Bryant Elementary winner of the annual contest
It’s that time of year again, time for Kidd Valley Restaurants to name its Teacher of the Year winners. For the 16th consecutive year, the local restaurant has called upon students to submit their classroom leader to take home the official title of “Teacher of the Year.” Since its inception, hundreds of entries have poured in each year with heartwarming stories of inspirational educators around the state, and this year was no exception.
Kidd Valley is pleased to announce Susan Kearney of Bryant Elementary in Seattle as grand prize winner of its Teacher of the Year award. As this year’s themed proved, Ms. Kearney has “given her students the knowledge to soar” both in and outside of the classroom time and time again.
At a recent school assembly, Kidd Valley presented Ms. Kearney with her winning prize package: a $500 check to put toward the purchase of class supplies, a commemorative plaque and the official title of “Teacher of the Year.” Plus, the nominating student received Kidd Valley Kids Meal for every student in their class.
Bennet Booth, a fourth grade student at Bryant Elementary who nominated Mr. Kearney, wishes every kid could have a teacher as great his. The Kidd Valley grand prize winner uses fun educational games to help the kids learn and encourages her students to suggest new ways to run the classroom. For example, Bennet says Ms. Kearney allows them to take charge when making decisions about classroom jobs and she treats every student like a friend, greeting them with a smile each day.
Kidd Valley also awarded two teachers each the first-place prizes of a $150 gift card for class supplies:
Kidd Valley first place winners:
· Riley Kreutzer, Fifth Grade, Lake Forest Park Elementary (Lake Forest Park)
· Tate Loftin, Second Grade, Bryant Elementary (Seattle)
Fifteen teachers each also received second place honors which included a Kidd Valley gift card, including:
Kidd Valley second place winners:
· Suzanne Sterling, K-5, Cottage Lake Elementary (Woodinville)
· Abbey Buchert, Second Grade, Decatur Elementary (Seattle)
· Brett Clothier-Sharman, Third Grade, Catharine Blaine K-8 (Seattle)
· Kacie Brown, Second Grade, Carl Sandburg Elementary (Kirkland)
· Jessica Dolin, First Grade, Hazel Wolf K-8 (Seattle)
· Adam White, Fifth Grade, Kenmore Elementary (Kenmore)
· Paul Harshman, Sixth - Eighth Grades, Hamilton International (Seattle)
· Peter Weschler, Fourth Grade, West Woodland Elementary (Seattle)
· Mark Clauson, Sixth - Eighth Grades, Finn Hill Middle (Kirkland)
· Danielle Schaaf, Fourth and Fifth Grades, Leschi Elementary (Seattle)
· Megan Wiedeman, Seventh and Eighth Grades, Kellogg Middle (Shoreline)
· Mark Hastings, Third Grade, Assumption St. Bridget (Seattle)
· Kevin Garber, Third Grade, Des Moines Elementary (Des Moines)
· Joy Burke, Third Grade, John Rogers Elementary (Seattle)
· Aaron Reddecliffe, Fourth and Fifth Grades, Sacajawea Elementary (Seattle)
Congratulations to all the teachers and thanks to all the students who submitted nominations.